To be a Centre of Excellence, supporting the development of universally high quality health visiting practice, so that health visitors can effectively respond to the health needs of all children, families and communities enabling them to achieve their optimum level of health, thereby reducing health inequalities.
We believe that:
- Improving public health outcomes for children, families and communities is at the heart of health visiting practice
- Health visiting is central to high standards of public health for all and to reducing inequalities in health
- By ensuring the highest standards of education, research and practice health visitors can deliver a world-class service
- Health visiting leaders of the future will flourish in an environment of academic and professional excellence
- All people are equal and that diversity provides opportunities for growth
The aim for the iHV is to raise standards in health visiting practice, so improving public health outcomes for all children, families and communities.
The primary purposes for which the iHV is being established are to:
- Work to improve quality and consistency in health visiting practice by
- acting as a Centre of Excellence for improving capacity and capability in health visiting and
- setting professional standards for continuing professional development
- Build leadership in health visiting
- Provide targeted professional development to address capability gaps
- Develop new effective ways to get key public health information to families, both directly, and through the health visiting service;
- Develop research processes to collect and analyse data to monitor the impact of the Health Visiting Implementation Plan