Education is central to the purpose and vision of the iHV. High-quality initial education in health visiting and high-quality continuing professional development for all health visitors will help ensure quality, consistency and effectiveness in health visiting practice.
There are a number of key themes concerning education and health visiting:
- The NMC’s evaluation, review and publication of the Standards of Proficiency for Specialist Community Public Health Nursing as part of its Programme of Change for Education.
- The iHV led the development and publication in March, 2019 of the Recommended National Curriculum: Specialist Community Public Health Nursing – Health Visiting/School Nursing (0-19 Child Public Health Nursing Services).
- The Recommended National Curriculum informed the NMC’s new Standards of Proficiency for SCPHN approved in May 2022 and the Apprenticeship Standard in England. We provided evidence to the NMC and continue to support their dissemination.
- We promote professional debate on core topics such as the future preparation and regulation of SCPHN practitioners.
- We engage and collaborate with national bodies such as UK Standing Conference on SCPHN education, HEE, HEIW, NES and professional organisations such as the Queen’s Nursing Institute, SAPHNA, RCN and CPHVA on issues including practice education, skill mix, the future of professional regulation and advanced practice.
- The importance of ongoing learning throughout a career to enable growth and progression at all stages.
- Please see our pages:
- ‘Becoming a health visitor’ to consider how to prepare for education and training as a health visitor;
- ‘Career Pathway for Health Visiting’ to discover the career options for entry and progression within health visiting;
- Skill Mix in Health Visiting to understand the key factors important to use of skill mix.
- Beyond SCPHN-HV registration, our training department delivers a range of programmes to support your professional development and leadership journey. This includes training in a range of topics relevant to health visiting practice and more specialist training, e.g. as a Champion or Ambassador.
- To keep updated, members can join our regular free iHV Insights events throughout the year. These 1-hour webinars provide excellent ‘bite-sized’ updates on a range of popular topics and feature experts from different fields of health visiting practice. You can access the current programme and sign up here.
- We engage with our iHV members on education and workforce issues through iHV networking events.
- The iHV also hosts a vibrant Specialist Health Visitor Perinatal Infant Mental Health (PIMH) group where key learning and resources are shared between members.
- SCPHN programme leaders interested in how to support student access to a range a iHV learning materials can find out more at the corporate members and student members pages.
- To ask about iHV University visits, send in an email to [email protected]
The Institute of Health Visiting (iHV), in partnership with Focus Games Ltd, launched the Leadership Game – a group learning tool that supports all health and social care professionals to explore, discuss and participate in collective leadership.
Effective compassionate leadership is vital at every level of health and social care. However, individuals and teams must be nurtured and supported to develop the competencies and behaviours required for effective clinical leadership. The Leadership Game is a unique group-learning tool that delivers this support.