The Government is seeking views on their green paper about the changes they want to make to the special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and alternative provision (AP) system in England.
The Government commissioned the SEND Review in September 2019 as a response to the widespread recognition that the system was failing to deliver improved outcomes for children and young people and that parental and provider confidence was in decline. The SEND review green paper sets out the Government’s proposals for a system that offers children and young people the opportunity to thrive, with access to the right support, in the right place, and at the right time, so they can fulfil their potential and lead happy, healthy and productive adult lives.
The SEND Review highlights key areas for the case for change:
- Children and Young People with SEND and those in alternative provision have consistently poorer outcomes than their peers
- Experiences of the SEND and AP provision system are negative
- The SEND and AP system is financially unsustainable
- There is too much inconsistency across the SEND system in how and where needs are assessed and met
- A vicious circle is driving these challenges
To achieve this ambition, the Government wants to work with and hear from:
- children and young people
- parents and carers
- those who advocate and work with the SEND sector
- local and national system leaders
We have 13 weeks to get this right, so please consider the proposals set out in the Government’s green paper and respond to their consultation.
Together, we can ensure that every child and young person with SEND and those in alternative provision can thrive and be well prepared for adult life.
iHV is collating a response to this consultation – please contact us (via email to [email protected] by 10 June 2022) if you have comments that you would like us to consider as part of our submission.
This consultation closes at 11:45pm on 1 July 2022.
If you have comments that you would like iHV to consider as part of our submission, please send via email to [email protected] by 10 June 2022
- A separate summary covering the SEND and AP green paper and responding to the consultation is also available.
- A British Sign Language (BSL) version and an easy-read version of the green paper will be available in early April.
- If you would like a Braille or audio version of the green paper or an accessible format that is not listed, email [email protected].