10th March 2017
Short weekly update from the CEO of Public Health England (PHE), including:
- following Wednesday’s Budget, PHE welcomes the levy on sugary drinks which will operate in practice from 2018
- Government’s commitment to the move of the ring-fenced public health grant to 100% business rate retention – PHE will fully engage with local government on this
- LGA published Maintaining our momentum: Essays on four years of public health, which relates a number of different perspectives, from national to local, of those working across the system since the transfer of public health to local government in 2013
- publication of new statistics on adult smoking habits in the UK – from 2010 to 2015, smoking became less common across all ages in the UK, with the largest decrease among 18 to 24 year olds
- publication of 2017 Child Health Profiles, which provide a snapshot of child health and wellbeing for each local authority in England in an easily accessible format
- inaugural PHE Quality Awards, celebrating quality, improvement, innovation and effectiveness.