Validate your membership/access to the iHV Champion hub here to receive your password.
Not a member? Join here.

BBC issues warning today – Button batteries pose ‘deadly’ risk to toddlers

22nd September 2016

Today, the BBC issues a stark warning about the dangers of button batteries. Please help to alert as many parents as possible to the dangers and stop more tragedies.

If a button battery, particularly a lithium coin battery, gets stuck in a child’s throat or gullet, the battery’s energy makes the body create caustic soda (the chemical used to unblock drains).

This can burn a hole through the throat and lead to serious internal bleeding and death.

Button batteries are found in many products that can appeal to young children, including remote controls, nightlights and novelty cards.

Join the conversation