Changing Conversations: Ambassadors for Autism
20 October 2022 - Bookings now open
This is an opportunity to book a place on our hosted training event which provides an opportunity for individual practitioners to complete our programme. iHV has been supported by the Burdett Trust for Nursing to develop a programme of training for health visitors to be “Changing Conversations: Autism Ambassadors” for their areas.
- The training has been co-produced by parents and professionals to support health visitors in their role with families.
- This co-production work highlighted that each family had a different experience, which reflected the need for family centred tailored care.
- The overriding theme was the need for improved communication between parents, health visitors and professionals, improved knowledge and understanding of autism and for families to be valued and supported to have the best possible outcomes physically, socially, and emotionally.
- A survey of health visitors highlighted a gap in training to support them in their role
The Ambassador one day event will equip HVs to act as advocates for parents with children who may be autistic. It will introduce resources including: Good Practice Points, Parent Tips, films, case studies, parent and child stories, along with collated research and literature to support a broader knowledge base and provide quality assured resources that families can be signposted to. Finally, there is a PowerPoint Awareness session Ambassadors can share with colleagues.
- 20 October 2022 – Bookings now open
Cost of places:
- £200 – iHV Member (membership number required for booking)
£225 – Non-member
Information for participants:
How do I apply?
Please download and complete the application form and send to [email protected]
About Changing Conversations: Ambassadors for Autism Training
In 2020, the Burdett Trust for Nursing supported the iHV to co-develop, in partnership with families and field experts, a range of online resources for health visitors to support their role with children with autism and their families. We are excited to offer an opportunity for health visitors from across the UK to train as Changing Conversations: Ambassadors for Autism.
Who is it for?
Qualified health visitors with an interest in neurodiversity and supporting parents of autistic children will be offered the opportunity to receive additional training to support them to:
- share their learning with their health visitor colleagues.
- enhance the support health visitors offer to these families.
Attendance at an event will support health visitors to become “Ambassadors for Changing Conversations” – about autism. As part of your role, you will promote the importance of family-centred support for families of autistic children within your local area, taking an active role in leading this very important agenda. These training events will be virtual and have been designed to be interactive, including expert speakers, parents with lived experience and introduction to the resources. We will share resources, including a 1-hour awareness session for you to cascade your learning to your team. All resources will become available to those who train following the event.
The aims of the training event are to:
- Increase understanding and insight into the impact of autism on families
- Equip health visitors to be local Ambassadors for Changing Conversations
- Introduce and provide resources to support and cascade best practice
- Opportunity for networking
Event fees will include access to additional resources including:
- Good Practice Points, Parent Tips, parent and child stories, films, and case studies.
- Training resources (PowerPoint slides and collated research and literature to share with colleagues
Commitment following training
To be a local Ambassador for Changing Conversations for Autism and use the training materials provided to cascade learning to your colleagues