What information we collect and how
Users are only required to register on this site if they require access to specified information restricted for viewing to Associates, Fellows or other members of the Institute of Health Visiting; the data we ask from you is necessary for us to provide the services you require. We collect information only from you, and not from third parties. The information we collect via this web site may include:
- Any personal details you type in and submit, such as name, email address, etc. This is used to improve the content of our site and to ensure relevance of information.
- Your IP address (this is your computer’s individual identification number), and other technical information, which is automatically logged by our server. This is used to note your interest in our web site and to ensure any changes that are made to the site are for your benefit.
- Session information stored in cookies. These do not include any personal information and are used to ensure that the correct data is extracted from the database (such as language preference) and the correct level of access is given when accessing restricted pages.
- Under no circumstances will we hold sensitive payment details, such as your card number, expiry date, unless it is required to register for one of our events. In this case, the data is transferred to an external – secure – database and not associated with your details held online. All credit card information is collected using Secure Socket Layers (SSL).
What we do with your information
Any personal information we collect from this Web site will be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and other applicable laws. The details we collect will be used:
- To comply with legal requirements.
- To ensure accessibility onto our site.
- In certain cases we may use your email address to send you information on our products and services. In such a case, you will be offered the option to opt in/out of this service.
We do not pass the information we collect to external companies. We do however utilise a third party, Google, to track the usage and volume of users on our site. The information they collect is not in any way associated with the details we hold about you online.
You can ask us to update or remove your personal information by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or writing to us at our address below. You also have the right to request a copy of any personal information we hold about you. To do this, simply write to us at the following address: Institute of Health Visiting, c/o Royal Society for Public Health, John Snow House, 59 Mansell Street, London E1 8AN. You can send us your comments or lodge a complaint by contacting us at the afore-mentioned address. An inquiry will be held into each complaint, and the appropriate action will be taken. If the problem raised by your complaint requires a change in our policies and procedures, we will act accordingly.