Education is central to the purpose and vision of the iHV.
High quality initial education in health visiting and high quality continuing professional development for all health visitors will help ensure quality, consistency and effectiveness in health visiting practice.
The Institute will work to promote education and lifelong learning in health visiting with individual practitioners. We can support you in planning your ongoing learning and with the community of education providers, regulators and policy makers to support consistency in provision of content and commissioning of education.
There are a number of key themes concerning education and health visiting:
- The importance of ongoing learning from registration through the first two years of practice and throughout your health visiting career
- NMC plans for revalidation and the need to ensure that you have the evidence for this
- Developing your career perhaps into a specialist area such as domestic violence, immunisation, practice teaching or safeguarding
- The increasing numbers of health visitors qualifying with Masters level qualifications enhancing the ability of health visitors to measure impact of health visiting practice
- The need to align the learning needs of the individual practitioner with the objectives of the service, for example increasing the community level skills of health visitors to deliver the range of the health visiting service in England
- The importance of interdisciplinary learning to strengthen team working around the child, family and community