Research has demonstrated that breastfeeding can play an important role in reducing health inequalities. Breastfeeding has many benefits for mother and baby including:
- Promoting emotional attachment between babies and their mothers.
- Reduce the risk for babies of respiratory infections, gastroenteritis, ear infections, allergic disease and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
- Improving neurological development.
- Lower the risk of tooth decay and cardiovascular disease in later life.
- Lowering the risk of breast cancer, ovarian cancer and hip fractures/reduced bone density for women who breastfeed.